Slider

Jack's Tree

Saturday, September 15, 2012

A Little Tree
A little tree for me to sow.
A little earth to make it grow.
A little hole, a little pat,
A little wish and that is that.
With sun and rain and family,
Up will grow my little tree! 

Our Tree Inquiry of last year lead to some wonderful learning and discoveries as a class. As a way of celebrating our learning at the end of the school year, my DECE and I thought what better way to do so then work with our school's ECO Team and have our students receive a tree sapling of their very own? As educators, this tree would not only serve as a token of their learning about trees, but it would most importantly act as a reminder of their Kindergarten year in our class and all the wonderful memories made there since it would grow with our students! 

This past Thursday one of our students came to school even more excited than he usually is. To our surprise, he brought with him a very special photo album that documented the planting of his tree that he received last year! We were thrilled to see that our vision for the tree saplings and what they symbolized was being celebrated and we are fortunate that his parents can let us share his story with you! Without question, we asked Jack if he would like to share his album with the class since we knew it would spark connections to our other SK's who received trees and inspire our new JK's. He did a wonderful job telling his story and used the pictures to talk about the steps he took to plant his tree with his family. This led to a great Question and Answer discussion amongst his peers to which he answered each question with a huge smile on his face! 

Thank you Jack for sharing your story with us and we can't wait to see your tree grow! 
Take a look at Jack's story!

"This is the spot my Grandma and I picked for my tree."

"This is me cutting the stuff down."

"This is me digging the hole."
"What did you use to dig the hole?" - S.M.
"A shovel."

"This is the hole for my tree."

"This is my Grandma and me planting the tree."

"I am adding soil to my tree."

"I had to add water to my tree."

"Where did you plant your tree?" - I.D.
"At my cottage." 

"This is me and my tree."

"What is the stick for beside your tree?" - Ms. Theis
"We put the stick beside my tree so that when the tree grows we can see how big it gets."

"How did you make the beautiful sign for your tree?" - Ms. Schmidt
"My Dad painted a rock green and then used white to write Jack's Tree."


4 comments:

  1. Great Ms. Schmidt!! Pop always points out the HUGE tree in his backyard that Kev planted around the same age! What an awesome reminder of Kindergarten!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't agree more Autumn! Thanks so much for taking the time to read my blog!!

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed reading Jack's tree story. My daughter's grade one tree is growing in a forest close to our home and receives regular visits to see how it is doing. I hope that Jack enjoys seeing his tree grow bigger than he is!

    sandi
    rubberboots and elf shoes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandi,
      Thanks so much for taking the time to read my blog and I'm so glad you enjoyed Jack's tree story! I couldn't resist not sharing it. Your daughter's tree sounds like a wonderful reminder of Grade One and seems to be planted in the perfect spot for frequent visits. I hope she continues to enjoy watching it grow!
      Sincerely,
      Jocelyn

      Delete

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan