Slider

Sharing our journey

Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Throughout this school year, Heidi and I have had the fortunate opportunity to be
"Learning@School" teachers within our school board. By working with the York Region District School Board's Early Years Team, Learning@School teachers open up the doors to their classrooms and host scheduled visits whereby school administrators and teachers can have the opportunity to observe, review elements of classroom practice, discuss "flow of the day," witness various forms of technology in action, and make note of the classroom environment and how it's set up for learning. 

Within these learning opportunities and through dialoguing with various teaching teams, Heidi and I came to the realization that a "take-away package" would be the best way for teachers to feel like we answered most/all of their questions. Considering most teachers are visual learners, we use this "take-away package" as a way to self-select the photographs we feel comfortable sharing of our classroom (since the walls of our class are often full of student photographs, names, etc) and provide our visitors with something they can refer back to upon planning, reflecting and sharing their journey with colleagues once they are back at their own schools.

Here are a few of the pages included in our "take-away package" and our hopes are that they can act as inspirational starting points for other teaching teams: 



The following list of "Must-Have" items has been created based on our own personal
preferences as a teaching team and by no means reflects any mandated
Full Day Kindergarten requirements from the York Region District School Board. 
To conclude this post, I just have to share a truly humbling email that I received this week from a teacher from Bayview Fairways P.S. who most recently visited our classroom with her teaching team. It is opportunities like this whereby we, as educators, can build capacity across our board, instil inspiration amongst us as professionals and continue to learn and collaborate!

Hi Jocelyn & Heidi,

Thank you for making that remarkable day happen, I have personally waited 2 years to see and experience this beautiful partnership in real life. Giving us ideas where we can start the process of putting decision and plan as a team into effect is the beginning of our team future learning journey. Thank you for answering our questions through your spectacular demo FDK class, I have learned so much from you guys as a real team. I look forward to learning more. Thank you again for sharing with us such a wonderful arranged marriage in real FDK environment. I am very grateful to get to know both of you. 

Thank you so very much Jocelyn & Heidi.. 

G.
Bayview Fairways P.S

3 comments:

  1. Hi Jocelyn I am a teacher with TDSB and last to go FDK this September. Is there any chance I can come visit your classroom ? I love how you use technology and would be interested to see the learning happening in person. Not sure how to get it all started and how I can start some IBL in half day program.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there,

      Thanks so much for your message and for taking the time to read and follow my blog.
      We always welcome visitors from other boards. However, it would be something you'd have to coordinate with your administrator. Feel free to email me directly and we'll see if we can make it happen: jocelyn.schmidt@yrdsb.edu.on.ca

      Talk soon!
      Jocelyn

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing your journey with us! I just started a new blog where I'm going to write about my inquires, wonderings and discoveries. My first blog entry is about my inspiration a.k.a you and Joanne B. I will be delighted if you visited my blog.

    http://msajawed.blogspot.ca

    Cheers,

    Asma

    ReplyDelete

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan